The publication of the energy management system (EnMS), ISO 50001:2018 was announced on 21st August by the International Organisation for Standardisation. The revised Standard will replace the old ISO 50001:2011 Standard at the end of a 3-year transition period.
The 2011 version of the standard has been revised to adopt ISO’s requirements for management system standards including the high level structure, identical core text and common terms and definitions, known as Annex SL, to ensure a high level of compatibility with other management system standards.
The key changes to the earlier version of the Standard are as follows:
- The incorporation of Annex SL;
- Stronger emphasis of the role of top management;
- Normalization of energy performance indicators [EnPI(s)] and associated energy baselines [EnB(s)];
- Clarification on exclusions of energy types;
- Clarification of energy review;
- Supporting integration with strategic management processes.
If you require any assistance with the transition of your Energy Management System to meet the requirements of ISO 50001:2018 please get in touch today on 028 9042 3222/01 8321493 or [email protected].