What is a Carbon Footprint?
A carbon footprint measures the total greenhouse gas emissions caused directly and indirectly by a person, organisation, event or product. It is measured in tonnes/kg of carbon dioxide equivalent (tCO2e) or (kgCO2e).
What do I need to calculate a carbon footprint?
- A carbon footprint must have a clearly defined SCOPE to enable comparison with other carbon calculations, the scope can include a specific person, an organisation, specific processes, products or services.
- An accurate BASELINE. This is achieved through good data management and the accurate use of a carbon foot printing method. You can only use the data available to you so make sure the data is accurate!
Why should I bother calculating a carbon footprint?
- To help identify current emissions.
- To help understand the current contribution to global warming.
- To help identify carbon mitigation and reduction opportunities.
- To helps identify areas in an organisation, process etc. where cost savings can be made.
- To help meeting customer requirements.
- To obtain information that can be used to build an effective carbon management plan/ strategy
Carbon Management is the approach taken to address the carbon and financial costs of an organisation’s activities. To achieve valuable carbon reductions an organisation should develop and implement an effective carbon management plan / strategy.
What do I put in my carbon management plan / strategy?
The carbon management plan/strategy should include as a minimum:
- Reporting requirements
- Carbon reduction targets
- A plan to implement carbon reduction projects.
How can Quadra assist in the process of calculating carbon footprints and developing a carbon management plan/ strategy?
Quadra can assist with identifying data requirements, calculating a carbon footprint, developing a carbon management plan/strategy, implementation of ISO 14001:2015, ISO 50001:2018, PAS 2050:2011, helping set realistic carbon reduction targets and driving your carbon commitments forward to achieve carbon reductions.
One thing Quadra recommends is to integrate carbon management into already existing company policies and systems, this way we benefit from existing working relationships and encourage cross functional engagement and it also reduces the resistance to ‘new procedures’. People often do not like change!
Things you need to think about!
- Are you being requested by customers to demonstrate?
- Do you have a passion to protect the environment?
- Do you wish to save money?
- What if the next tender question is about your carbon commitments?
- Are you legally required to manage and report energy consumption?
- Has seeing the impacts of global warming news affected you?
- Have you been asked “how are you calculating your carbon footprint?”
- Do you know how your company is contributing to global warming?
At Quadra we have much experience at integrating systems to improve business performance. See https://quadraconsulting.com/iso-500012018-published/ for further information. However, if starting from scratch we can help you too. With 30 years’ experience in supporting clients, we know what you need and how to best achieve it!