Buy smart with sustainable procurement
Sustainable Procurement is a process where organisations meet their needs for goods, services, activities and utilities in a way that achieves value for money for the organisation but also reflects broader goals linked to resource efficiency, climate change, social responsibility and economic resilience, for example.
Aspects of sustainable procurement
- Reducing negative impacts on local communities and the environment
- Ensuring your supply chain upholds the same standards as your business
- Managing supply chain risk effectively, for example, supply chain visibility and fair labour practices
- Building a positive relations hip with your suppliers
- Managing your supplier contracts successfully
- Monitoring supplier performance and compliance
Managing demand for your goods and services
What you need to do
Implement a sustainable procurement policy or strategy in your organization and in doing so think about the sustainable pillars of procurement i.e. environmental, economic and social impacts.
Train all employees involved in the procurement process in sustainable procurement.
Speak to Quadra for advice, at Quadra we are experts at helping our clients identify the financial, operational, and reputational benefits of sustainable procurement.
Benefits of a sustainable procurement policy and strategy
Organisations that practice sustainable procurement helps to ensure a better future for the planet as well as for people and the organization. To procure in a sustainable way it involves understanding from all employees responsible for procurement including those selecting the items or service to the person making the final decision on purchasing. Sustainable procurement is about looking beyond short-term needs and considering the longer-term impacts of each purchase.
- Improved reputation amongst customers and across your industry
- Reduced costs through recycling, using more eco-friendly products and services
- Effective risk management
- Improve your chance of winning tenders and opportunities with enhanced sustainability standards
- Attract investors who are also passionate about sustainability and share the same goals
Benefits for the wider community and environment
- Reduced waste through recycling, in particular waste to landfill
- Improve working and living conditions by sourcing fair trade products and avoiding purchasing goods and services from companies that don’t adhere to sensible or legal purchasing or production practices
- Reduced carbon emissions by using energy-efficient appliances and renewable energy or by reducing travel by purchasing local
- Reduced use of natural resources by purchasing goods and services using recycled materials and purchasing from local suppliers when possible
- Reduce risk of environmental contamination and pollutions through selection of eco-friendly materials and products for example chemicals
Be an example for other organizations in your industry, help drive markets for more innovative and sustainable solutions by implementing your own sustainable procurement policy for goods and services. If you would like to know more about Sustainable Procurement and the benefits it could bring your organisation, please talk to one of our Environmental Specialists regarding your requirements 028 90 423222 or email firstname.lastname@example.org